For my document analysis I chose a letter Catharine Parr Traill wrote to a friend who wanted to know what it was like to immigrate to Upper Canada.

At the beginning of this project I was a little lost as to where I should start.  When I had some great information and resources from Brenda (TRU librarian) I went ahead and started do read through all the books and articles I had accumulated.  After reading through Parr Traill’s book The Backwoods of Canada I knew I had some excellent primary sources to choose from.  I chose a particular letter written by Parr Traill to a friend back home about immigrating to Canada.  I chose this article because it had relevant information about what is required of a bush-settler in Upper Canada during the early nineteenth century.  I also found the article extremely interesting as it gave a great deal of incite as to the daily lives of pioneer women.  I think it is incredible what bush-settlement required from the whole house hold in order to ensure the family was provided for.  They had an area to have livestock for meat and a garden for vegetables which they lived off of.  I can only partially relate to this as we planted a large 30 by 50 garden this year and lived off our garden for the majority of the summer.  It was amazing how much my children enjoyed having a garden and how much they wanted to participate in tending to the garden.  I know we do not live in a time as when Parr Traill was establishing herself, however it is still nice to be able to provide for your family when it comes to food. I know there are so many more trial and errors that Parr Traill had to go through but this is one area that our family can try to relate.

Please enjoy my attached Document Analysis on a letter written by Catharine Parr Traill.

History Document Analysis