I wanted to include this reading log because I remember having a good discussion about this reading log  with our group.  First off we discussed what the charivaris was and how it was used.  We all had questions such as “how do you know the two people, even if there is a large age gap, are not marrying for the right reasons?” Did the charivaris decide to publicly shame the couple on an assumption that they were marrying for wrong reasons or for the expected payment?

The political charivaris is where the actions of the participants of the charivaris escalated.  Both charivaris were used to get an expected outcome.  For the political charivaris it was about resignation from a post.  The two main differences of the charivaris were the original form of charivaris was not as violent as the political charivaris.

In our group discussion we all thought the charivaris was a form of “bullying” to get an expected outcome.  If the charivaris did not get the outcome they wanted they would return over and over again until they got monetary payment or resignation.

I hope you enjoy my reading log on the Charivaris.

History Reading Log-8